Zündapp was founded in 1917 by Dr.-Ing. E. h. Fritz L. Neumeyer and Friedrich A. Krupp, Essen, under the name Zünder und Apparatebau(Ignition and Equipment Company) G.m.b.H, Nürnberg. They supplied ignition equipment to the German army until the war ended in 1918. In 1919, after the transition to a peace-economy, the company changed its name to "Zündapp company for the construction of special machines m. b. H. " in Nuremberg. At this time, they also started producing light machine parts and in 1921, the fabrication of motorcycles. In the following years, the small, nimble machines were known throughout Germany as "Zündapp, the motorcycle for everyone".